This one day MCA STCW Elementary First Aid course will give you knowledge of the immediate action to be taken upon encountering an accident or other medical emergency at sea. It forms part of the requirements for basic training for seafarers employed or engaged in any capacity on board ship.
The course which is a combination of theory and practical sessions will cover:
- Casualty assessment
- CPR and know how this differs on a drowned person
- How to turn a casualty into the recovery position and understand the importance of maintaining the airway
- Understanding of the effect of cold shock and how to treat hypothermia from immersion and exposure
- How to recognise the signs and implications of reduced responsiveness in a person with a head injury
- How to apply direct pressure to a wound and control bleeding.
- How to apply appropriate measures for basic shock management
- How to apply appropriate measures in the event of burns and scalds, including accidents caused by electric current
- Recognition and treatment of seasickness and dehydration
- How to obtain medical advice and assistance using the VHF radio
- How to rescue and transport a casualty
- How to prepare for helicopter evacuation
The course which is run from our training centre in Emsworth Yacht Harbour starts at 9.00am and finishes at approximately 5.00pm.
Tea, coffee and all equipment to complete the course including the St Johns / Red Cross First Aid Manual will be provided. You just need to bring a notepad. Lunch can be obtained from the Deck Cafe on site or the village which is a short walk away or alternatively bring a packed lunch with you
The MCA Elementary First Aid Course is in accordance with STCW 95, A-VI/(1-3).
MCA STCW Elementary First Aid Course - FAQ’s
These are a few of the questions we get asked by people booking on the MCA Elementary First Aid Course. If you have any further queries or are unsure whether this is the course for you please call us on 01243 432485 and we will be only too happy to chat to you.
What time does the MCA Elementary First Aid Course start and finish?
Typically we start at 9.00am and finish at about 5.30pm with an hour break for lunch
What is included in the course fee?
The price includes the Red Cross/ St Johns First Aid manual and all equipment to be able to complete the course.
What do I need to bring?
You just need to bring a notepad with you.
Where is the course held?
It will be held at our main classroom in Emsworth Yacht Harbour, Thorney Road, Emsworth, Hants PO10 8BP
What qualifications or experience do I need to complete the MCA Elementary First Aid Course?
You do not need to have any prior knowledge or qualifications but you do need to be aged 16 or over.
Are there any exams?
There are no exams for this course so you can relax and enjoy it without the pressure of being examined at the end.
What qualification will I get once I have completed the course?
On successful completion of the course you will be issued with the MCA STCW Elementary First Aid Certificate.
How many people will there be on the course?
We have a maximum of 8 people on a course, though usually the numbers are smaller than this.
How long is the certificate valid for?
It is valid for 3 years.
Who needs the MCA Elementary First Aid Certificate
The Elementary First Aid course forms part of STCW95 so is a requirement for:
- Crew working on vessesls over 24m
- MCA Masters (less than 200m)
- RYA Yachtmasters Commercial with STCW endorsed
- Skippers and crew of commercial vessels less than 24m may also find it useful if operating overseas.
How do I book
Just click on the book now button
All DatesDates to be announced
or to discuss your requirements you can contact us seven days a week from 8.00a.m to 7.30pm on 01243 432485 or 07702 842190