The RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course is is an advanced course aimed towards students who wish to skipper a yacht on longer coastal passages or who are working towards taking the Coastal Skipper or Yachtmaster Offshore practical exams
This distance learning version of the course is delivered by Navathome.com, an RYA recognised training centre specialising in online training. (If you are looking for a classroom based course please click HERE).
The course is made up of a series of online lessons, many of which have animated graphics. Each lesson has a series of practice questions with automatic feedback on your answers so you know immediately how you are doing. At the end of the course you will be given access to three assessment papers to complete, the first on meteorology, the second on chartwork and the third on the collision regulations on which you will need to get over 80% to pass. If you require your RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Certificate for commercial purposes the exams must be invigilated by a suitable person such as a lawyer, teacher, banker etc. Alternatively you can complete the exams in our classroom invigilated by us.
Provided with the course is:
- personal support from a highly experience RYA shorebased instructor via email or telephone or if you're local you can pop in to the classroom for a chat
- 6 months access to the fully interactive online course with the option of extending it for a further 6 months for a small additional fee in the rare event that you may need extra time
- The RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster shorebased pack including 2 charts, a training almanac, RYA shorebased course notes, RYA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore exercises and course information booklet and access to the RYA Electronic Chartplotter.
- Online exams and on successful completion the RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Shorebased certificate.
- A full refund if within 14 days you decide you do not want the course (see terms and conditions)
A detailed RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course syllabus can be found by clicking onto the tab above.
Once you have booked and paid you will be emailed the login details to access the online course and the RYA pack will be posted out to you by first class post at the latest on the next working day.
To see how it works, why not take a look at our free trial - click HERE
You will be required to have successfully completed the RYA Day Skipper Theory Course before starting the online RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course. Some practical experience is also recommended.
Navathome - Important Privacy Information
To enable access to your online course we need to share some of your personal data with www.navathome.com. This training website and database is held and maintained on a secure server. Navathome is an RYA training centre which specialises in online navigation training and will not use your personal information for any reason other than enabling your course.
Your payment information will be collected by Emsworth School of Navigation LLP on behalf of Navathome and is not passed on to any other organisation. Payment information for the purpose of logging you into the Navathome admin will not be retained once the payment is made. Your name and email address will be entered on www.navathome.com in order to create your user account. Your postal address will be provided in order to send your student pack. You will have access to the site for six months in order to complete your online course. During this period, your personal information will be held on the website by Navathome and may be available to Emsworth School of Navigation LLP who may have access to the Navathome database. This period maybe extended should you wish to extend your course access.
On completion of your course, your name and email will be retained by Navathome for the purpose of recording details of the course and any certification you gain as a result of it. This information allows Navathome to record your certification. Your Instructor will not hold any information for the purposes of Navathome student support after this date. Please note that Emsworth School of Navigation LLP may hold information to enable provision of other training not associated with the Navathome course.
Should you not complete the course in the given time frame, your name and email will be retained by Navathome for the purpose of recording details of the course. This information allows Navathome to retain a record of coursework you have completed.
Full details of how Navathome will deal with your personal information is given in the Navathome terms and conditions (https://www.navathome.com/terms.aspx).
- Dead reckoning and estimated position
- Satellite derived positions
- Use of waypoints to fix position
- Radar fixes
- Techniques of visual fixing
- Fixes using a mixture of position lines
- Relative accuracy of different methods of position fixing
- Areas of uncertainty
2. The magnetic compass
- Allowance for variation
- Change of variation with time and position
- Causes of deviation
- Swing for deviation (but not correction)
- Allowance for deviation
- Different types of compass
- Causes of tides - Springs and Neaps
- Tide tables - sources
- Tidal levels and datum
- Standard and secondary ports
- Tidal anomolies (Solent, etc)
4. Tidal streams
- Sources of tidal information
- Tidal stream information in sailing directions and Yachtsmen's Almanacs
- Allowance for tidal streams in computing a course to steer
- Tide rips, overfalls and races
- Tidal observation buoys, beacons etc
- IALA system buoyage in Region A
- Limitations of buoys as navigational aids
- Ranges - visual, luminous and nominal
- Rising and dipping distances
- Light lists
- Harbour regulations and control signals
- Methods of pre-planning
- Clearing lines
- Use of soundings
- Transits and leading lines
8. GPS and chart plotters
- Principles of operation and limitations of use
- Raster and vector charts
- Importance of confirmation of position by an independent source and keeping a separate record of position
- Importance of paper charts
9. Echo sounders
- Principles of operation and limitations of use
10. Logs (speed and distance measuring)
- Principles of operation and limitations of use
11. Deck log
- Importance of log as yacht's official document
- Layout of log, hourly and occasional entries
- Basic terms, the beaufort scale
- Air masses
- Cloud types
- Weather patterns associated with pressure and frontal systems
- Sources of weather forecasts
- Ability to interpret a shipping forecast, weatherfax and weather satellite information
- Land and sea breezes
- Sea fog
- Use of a barometer as a forecasting aid
13. Rule of the road
- A sound knowledge of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, except Annexes 1 and 3
14. Safety at Sea
- Personal safety, use of lifejackets, safety harnesses and lifelines
- Fire prevention and fire fighting
- Distress signals
- Coastguard and boat safety scheme
- Preparation for heavy weather
- Liferafts and helicopter rescue
- Understanding of cababilities of vessels and basic knowledge of stability
15. Navigation in restricted visibility
- Precautions to be taken in fog
- Limitations to safe navigation imposed by fog
- Navigation strategy in poor visibility
16. Passage planning
- Preparation of charts and notebook for route planning and making and use at sea
- Customs regulations as they apply to yachts
- Routine for navigating in coastal waters
- Strategy for course laying
- Use of waypoints and routes
- Use of weather forecast information for passage planning strategy
- Sources of local and national regulations
17. Marine Environment
- Responsibilty to minimise pollution and protect the marine environment
These are a few of the questions we get asked by people booking on the RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course. If you have any further queries or are unsure whether this is the course for you, please call us on 01243 432485 or 07702 842190 and we will be only too happy to chat to you.
What is included in the online RYA Coastal skipper / Yachtmaster Theory course fee?
The price includes access to the online course, 2 RYA charts, RYA almanac, RYA Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore Exercises and course information. RYA Yachtmaster booklet, access to the RYA chartplotter Simulator and exam and cerificate fees.
What qualifications or experience do I need to complete the online RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course?
You need to have the RYA Day Skipper Theory certificate and some practical experience is recommended.
How long does it take to complete the course?
The course takes about 60 - 70 hours
How long do I have to complete the course?
Your login lasts until you pass. Your access lasts for a full 6 months after which it can be extended for further 6 month periods. There is an admin charge of £30 for each extension. A 6 month period is usually more than enough time to complete the course and the need to pay extension fees are very rare.
Can I download the course to work offline?
The course is an online course so it cannot be downloaded, however you can keep a page open or use the question paper that comes with the RYA pack to answer questions offline and then go back online to check and submit them.
Can I do any of the course whilst waiting for my pack to arrive?
Yes, your login is automatic and immediate. The information you receive with your login includes a list of the parts of the course that can be completed while you wait for the RYA pack.
Are there any exams?
There are three assessment papers which are completed towards the end of the course:
- Collision Regulations - this has a 60% pass mark
- Passage Making - 60% pass mark
- Chartwork & tides
The assessment can be taken on line just like the rest of the course. The questions are in a similar format to the course questions so you are well prepared for both the assessment and the type of questions. If you require your RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory certificate commercially the exams must be invigilated by a suitable person such as a lawyer, teacher, etc. Alternatively you can complete the exams in our classroom invigilated by us.
I've forgotten my login details
Click student log in at the top of the page.
Select the course you are booked on.
On the log in page enter the email address you used for your course.
Click forgotten password.
Your password will be sent to you.
What qualification will I get once I have completed the course
On successful completion of the course you will be issued with the RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Shorebased Certificate.
Do I need to do the RYA Coastal skipper / Yachtmaster Shorebased Course
If you need to obtain the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence or the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence then it is a requirement that you have the shorebased course certificate.
How do I book
Just click on the book online course now button or if you need any further information, please call us on 01243 432485.
Navathome RYA online RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course is compatible with PC, Mac, Linux and mobile devices including Ipad and Iphone.
This is an online course so you will need internet access and email to be able to complete it.
To check if our course works correctly with your browser or mobile device we recommend you use the free trial.
Independent Tests have given the following results:
Galaxy Nexus (Phone, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean): ok, fluid animations, good speed. Tested in Chrome.
Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Tablet, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich): ok, fluid animations, good speed. Tested in Chrome and Android Browser.
Asus Transformer TF101 (Tablet, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich): ok, fluid animations, good speed, Tested in Chrome and Android Browser.
Ipad, Iphone: ok, fluid animations, good speed,
It is fairly safe to say that Android 4.0 and above is ok.
The RYA plotter simulator is windows or Mac based but will not work on mobile devices.
The plotter is used in a couple of questions in the course. Generally we ask students using mobiles to answer the questions manually that would normally use the RYA plotter simulator it does not affect the course at all.
All our P.C. based courses use HTML5 and the software, required to run them, should already be installed on your computer.
An option to install an up to date version of Flash is available and will download automatically if required.
Long Weekend Courses
or to discuss your requirements you can contact us seven days a week from 8.00a.m to 7.30pm on 01243 432485 or 07702 842190