Skip to main content

Super Yacht Courses

Firing off CV’s to Superyacht recruitment agencies or spending days dock walking can be frustrating and while it won’t guarantee you a job, some qualifications can help you get work or to make that next step up the Superyacht career ladder .

The courses we offer help you to secure work in the Superyacht industry because not only do they make you more useful around a boat but because they also help owners and skippers to fulfill their legal obligation to have a minimum number of certified staff on board.

A table indicating the manning levels and associated qualifications can be found on under resources on the right side of this page.

Course content can be viewed in more detail by clicking on the course name.

Which course is suitable for you will depend on your experience and goals so to simplify this we’ve listed some examples of jobs in the superyacht industry and the qualifications often required. It is worth noting though that even if you can’t get the role you’re qualified for, qualifications will help you to get a job and being in a job on a vessel can give you first pick when a suitable job arises.

Deckhands are responsible for maintaining the exterior of the yacht and they may also be responsible for the operation and maintenance of jet skis, tenders etc.

You do not always need to have formal qualifications, however if you have no experience then the following will be useful:

  • RYA Day Skipper
  • Powerboat Level 2
  • VHF SRC Radio Operators Certificate
  • MCA STCW 95 Basic Safety Certificate

Some boats, particularly sail require their deckhands to have RYA Yachtmaster Offshore.

The MCA Approved Engine Course (AEC) may also give you the edge over other job candidates as many vessels require a second engineer on board who does not necessarily work full time in the engine room but can also double up as a deckhand, mate, stewardess or from another department

Bosun/ Senior Deckhand

The bosun would be in charge if the deckhands and responsible for maintaining the exterior of the yacht. They would also probably be the main tender drivers

The following qualifications would be beneficial if you want to apply for a job in this role:

  •  MCA Yacht Rating Certificate
  •  RYA Power Boat level 2 or IYT Tender Driver Licence
  •  GMDSS VHF/SRC Radio Operators Certificate
  •  RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or IYT Master of Yachts <200gt
  •  MCA STCW Master (Yachts) <200gt or STCW OOW (Yachts) Certification
  •  MCA STCW Basic Safety Certificates


  • RYA Yachtmaster Offshore
  • STCW
  • Eng1

2nd Engineer

  • MCA Approved Engine Course (AEC)
  • STCW